Saturday 27 August 2011

All ok for the Aussie campers

I was asking Gordon (owner of the 1968 Ford Mustang that I'm "co-piloting" as they say in South Africa) whether he thought our little "pop-up" tent was big enough for him and me, which he does -- "looks ok" he says -- and led to an exchange of emails, Gordon  to Roger (the race organiser)...
__________
Roger,

How self sufficient do we have to be regarding camping. Do we have any food and cooking facilities provided or are we expected to 100% sort ourselves. Need to get camping gear next week end and want to know if I get stoves pots pans etc.
Thanks
Gordon

__________
Gordon:
Good one. There is a night near Marsabit where we are expecting to camp. The next night at Moyale the same thing. Then the first night into the Sudan the same thing and also the three nights north of Khartoum. Being a large group of people I have said we must camp as facilities in these areas are very limited if anything at all.

However, at Marsabit there is a Catholic Mission that has a few rooms, in the village are a few rooms and the same goes for Moyale and the Sudan. I am taking a sleeping bag and a popup tent in case but I am not doing any cooking stuff as I reckon I will find a meal when needed and all the food, cooking apparatus, utensils is a hassle.

Regards,
Roger

___________
Roger,
In OZ we eat Witchety Grubs or Kangaroo when it gets desperate – like the concept – get a goat on a spit! The Beer is the real problem and getting it cold another!
Gordon
____________