Wednesday 22 June 2011

Gordon Galavants

Our tent is the size of ONE of these....
Got a call from Gordon yesterday. He was in the Maldives on his way to Sweden to do some yacht racing and then (I think) deliver the boat to Denmark.
He doesn't muck about our Gordon: either sailing boats between countries or driving classic cars across continents...
[Note for newbies to the site: we met Gordon when he crewed on Baby Tonga in the '10 King's Cup, where we on Xena and Tonga had a good tussle, ending up equal first on points, with the Tonga taking it on countback. Gordon then came with us on Xena in the April '11 Hong Kong to San Fernando race.  As we sat on the rail together, Gordon mentioned that apart from sailing he liked to drive classic cars around the place.  I said that if he was ever short of a co-driver, I'd be interested.  And here we are...]
He asked me how I was doing with visas, which is that I've found out which countries need a visa and which not.  Basically the theme is this: the further north you go the more hassle it is.
They all seem to need a letter  -- huh? -- from your "employer" (so I'll have do invent one), an itinerary and e-ticket showing that you're going to leave.  As if any of these places is a target for illigal immigration.... but, oh well, just do the paperwork, bud.
He also asked me about a tent, as we've a few days when we have to provide our own accommodation: I told him I had a brand new tent, never been put up, which I'd bought in Oz at Christmas '09 and never used.
Arlene and I then put it up in the back yard.  It's about the size of a large handkerchief.  Big enough for our Weimaraner Marcus, maybe Basil the Lab too.... it's got to take two, not-so-small blokes...  Still, Gordon reckons that's ok, keep it small, there's very little room in the car -- any extra is taken up with fuel tanks, back seat 'n all...
Update (4 July): piccie of tent.  Views on the size?
Peter dwarfs the tent.  Wife says: "two-man, are you sure??"

Back yard with tent....