Thursday 30 June 2011

Dave's 1970 Mercedes 280SE

I sent out email yesterday to the rally organiser Roger's email list and got back several responses.
Here's one from Dave Pineo, with some photos of the Namibian contingent and his email below:

Dave Pineo's 1970 Mercedes Benz 1970 280SE

Ian Gallagher's 1968 MGB GT

Steffen Goetz's 1970 Mercedes Benz 280S


Kobus van Wyngaarden's 1970 Mercedes 280SE

Hi Peter
 
Thanks for the email – I had a look at your blog and look forward to seeing you soon. I attach photos of the four Namibian cars.
We will leave Windhoek around the 1st few days of August (if all goes well with visas, cars and work) – since my daughters are currently in possession of my flat in Newlands (enjoying rent-free status as students at UCT) I have told them to evict any squatting friends between 30th Aug – 5th Sept when we will join you all at the hotel in Bloubergstrand the night before we head north (back to Windhoek !!).
The cars are progressing well but still things to complete after a year of preparation – they are on exhibition at the Standard Bank Auto Show in Windhoek this weekend.
See you in Cape Town  -  also maybe in Hong Kong one day! It is on my list of things to do but the list is long and the time short. When we left Uganda in the mid-60s (where I was born) after Idi Amin started to stir things up my godfather went to Hong Kong for many years (and was awarded an OBE for services rendered to the UK Goverment!). He always wanted me to visit but I never had the opportunity in my younger days – every year he writes me what he calls his “valedictory letter” but he is still going and I last saw him in Oxford, UK last year aged 92 !!!
Regards
Dave Pineo
Windhoek, Namibia